Monday, June 15, 2009

We made it.

We left Sunday night and drove to Salina Kansas where we stayed in a hotel and then ate at I-HOP. Then we drove to St. Louis which took about 5-6 hours. We stopped in St. Louis where Lara is from and hung out with her and her family. That was a perfect midpoint because we were able to let the boys get out and run. Plus her family house is a palace with toys and endless entertainment. Lara's little sis, Aleesa (sp?) showed them around and took care of them.

Here is cute little Elijah who looks taller to me. His chubby little self is getting longer. What a cute boy. Elijah and Adam explored together and discovered the drain that the rain water goes into. They got nice and messy!

Michael holding the new little Isaac who is looking bigger. What a good baby. It was so fun to see these cousins before we left forever.


Liam, Sean and Aleesa (sp?) spent a good 2-3 hours going up and down the driveway. They got pretty good speed and a plus? No one got hurt. Liam and Sean are pretty brave little guys. The exercise really was perfect for the middle of the trip.



We left the Bailey house around 2 and drove to Louisville, KY. We had Bucca de Beppo to go and went to a nice park where we ate and played for 3 hours. We left there around 9 pm and the kids slept while Michael drove to Lexington, VA. He drove till 4 am. Wow! That made it so the next day was only 2-3 hours. We finally pulled into our new house around 2 pm. Here it is!




Michael surprised me with a CO flag on the outside. Everyone seems to have a flag around here so we represent the CO flag.





This is our front porch. I loved it at first but later that evening I was talking to my mom on the phone and this very porch and had my first experience with the roach. They come out at night and you have to keep your door shut at all times because they will find their way in. I watched a few roaches while on the phone and then decided to go in because they are scary little creatures. Once inside and off the phone I lifted a towel from the ground and there one was crawling in our house. Michael killed it immediatly and that is the only roach I've seen inside. The next night I was breaking down boxes and the back deck and a roach crawled out of a box. I'm trying to get used to the idea of roaches but they scare me. Michael put out some roach traps but told me we are working with a forest of roaches. We'll see how it goes.

With roaches comes humidity, rain, green green grass and good soil. We decided to plant a garden. Here are the boys planting away. We planted tomatoes, basil, corn, peppers and more. Let's see how it turns out.




Here is Adam trying to navigate the tall grass in the backyard. We need to buy a lawnmower on Craigs list.



Michael dug out entire garden with his little camping shovel. I sure love this man. He's seems to be able to do anything. He has little experience with gardening but sure seemed to know what he was doing.


We found a nest in the tree in our backyard. There is a lot of animal life here. Liam used to have to search far and wide for one rolly polly at the Perrenoud and here he finds millions of creatures in his backyard. So much to choose from. This is a little starter nest that Sean found and carried around all day. He called it the Best Nest.



Liam seems to be very happy here. We've gone to the ocean twice now and Liam has no fear. He loves the water and the sand. He writes his name in the sand and finds seashells. Sean is a little more timid and just when he was warming up to going in a little further he swallowed a mouthful of saltwater. He think we're saying spit water. He immediatly threw up and then made his way over to me where he washed out his mouth with water and ate some oranges.


So far so good. I'm trying to figure out what the catch is. The house is great, the ocean is so close and fantastic. The backyard is huge, there is plenty of room in the house. I guess the catch is that all my people are not here. If anyone would like to come to Norfolk VA and hang out or move here just call me and I'll help you to get here. OK.


So here we are in VA living our new life. I think this is going to be just fine. More posts to come later. I'm really trying to do this now that I live far away and people may want to see pics of the boys. Plus, I have no trash to take out, (except my own), no mail to deliver, no Perrenoud lawn to mow, no Perrenoud snow to remove, no Perrenoud phone to answer and deal with problems. It's really quite relaxing to just take care of my people and not the Perrenoud people. That is all for now.













14 comments:

Allyssa said...

very cute house. the boys are looking older. and so adorable. brian and i were just planning our trip out to see you last night. hopefully sept sometime. you need some pest control... you could get those really sticky mats that the roaches crawl on and get stuck. i thought those worked well.

ginger said...

Glad you made it and the flag is so sweet, though I thought he might have gone for a confederate one.

I'm so sorry about the roaches. They are so horrible and so a main reason we didn't stay for work in dc (humidity and crime being the other two reasons).

You have a cute house and cute boys. It is so nice to see your family. We hope to make it to visit in the fall. Oh, and we're definitely up for a Niagara Falls/Palmyra camping trip next month if y'all want in.

doktorone said...

You guys look "mah-ve-lous!" Sounds like people are lining up to get there. Can't wait to see you all. love, Mom/D.

Lyssa said...

Oh Shelley,
I knew it would be wonderful. I'm glad that everything is working out so well. Your house looks really big. Big enough to hold the whole Krumholz family! : ) It is also great to see Liam and Seany looking so happy. I know you'll look back on this time fondly. You still have to come home to Colorado when you are done though. Good.

Teri said...

Oh Shelley, it is so good to see you guys! I am glad that you made it there safely. You guys are sure missed a lot. Good job on a long and informative post. Good luck with the bugs. And the house looks wonderful.

Jen and Emma said...

OH! What a cute house for sure. We need to see pics of the inside for sure! I love you and your boys so very much and miss you like crazy already....but it looks like you guys are happy as clams there. Talk to you soon....ewwww roaches. I know about those from AZ YUCK!!

Unknown said...

i love the best nest! also love the colorado flag. rockin'.

Laynalou3 said...

I'm so glad you're posting about your life in VA! You are having an adventure and now we'll all get to experience it through you. You are very brave!! Love you!

Misty said...

Denver just wont be the same without the St Johns. I can't believe how tall Liam looks. Its so fun to see pictures of your family. VA doesn't look too bad, actually sounds pretty nice. At least its green. Not much green around Elko. We miss you guys!

Anna said...

Ooh Shelley, Please keep your promise & blog often so we can stay in touch! I'm so sad that I didn't get to say goodbye to you guys, I had no idea you were leaving so soon!! Glad you stopped in St. Louis :)

A few things: #1 your house is super cute, #2 Nice job on the garden! #3 Jealous that the ocean is so close...let's see some beach pictures! #4 Miss you #5 Let me know when you'll be back in Denver so we can see you guys! Love ya

A and M said...

Hello St. John's it's the Marquis'! I found your blog through Wade & Misty's.
Wow, your boys are so big & that little Adam is just adorable...glad to see everything is going well.

Megan said...

Your house is darling. Your flag is perfect! Your garden will flourish (and so will the grass). I hope your new life will be just as great!

Oh, and the roaches...one suggestion...don't ever take a nap on the floor. I remember one time growing up that dad said he had a dream that he had a cockroach on him. He woke up, from a nap on the floor, and what was staring at him straight in the eye? A cockroach on his face! AGH!

Twila and Jon Warner Family said...

FABULOUS! Flip Flops are great for roach killing. They are gross. Love the house, love the garden, love y'all (no more you guys, you're in the sounth now.)

Erin said...

What a great post! I sure miss you and while I still wish you moved to Salt Lake with me, VA looks like it is going to be pretty wonderful. Love you Shelley.