Saturday, June 27, 2009

Adam turned 1


Adam's first birthday!
Adam turned 1 on June 25th. We have had him in our family for one whole year. What a fantastic addition he is. Michael calls him the Golden child. He looks a bit different from the other two. His hair color is golden and he doesn't have the dark eyebrows and hair like Liam and Sean.
Adam thinks that he is five. He tries to do everything that Liam and Sean are doing. Here in VA we have a fantastic front yard and sidewalk with no car traffic, (we're used to 17th Ave in Denver) and so Liam has learned how to ride his bike with no training wheels. He's doing a great job and absolutely loves this activity so I'm often on the front porch while the kids ride bikes. Sean also loves to ride his bike and thus Adam would also like to ride a bike. I was telling this all to Michael's mom and so she sent this cute little blue bike in the mail that she had sitting in her garage for Adam to ride. He loves it. Plus it arrived on the day we celebrated Adam's bday so it was a bonus present. Thanks Grandma!


Here is Adam with his party hat. We've never celebrated a bday with only the five of us. Adam's first bday was a good time to do it because he certainly didn't mind. Liam and Sean aren't crazy about cake and ice cream so we bought a snow cone maker at Target. (my favorite store that I go to because it makes me feel like I'm at home) The snow cones were a hit. Adam loved it and we can make these treats every day since it is so hot.


I told Liam and Sean that they were invited to Adam's bday party and they each needed to find a toy, wrap it, and bring it to the party. Adam loved the idea and opened all the FREE presents. It was great. Sean picked some pretty random toys but Adam enjoyed ripping the paper apart.


Liam spent more time on the project and made him a cute card and chose some baby toys that he got when he was one. It was all very cute. Adam's birthday was very fun and we missed all our friends and family who were not able to come. You're all excused since it would have been a 27 hour drive.


Here is Liam with his cape and his hat and his sunglasses ready to ride his two wheeler. His goal was to go fast enough to make the cape fly in the air. He made it happen a few times.


Here is Adam and his Fantastic legs. This is two months of walking on them as well. They used to be even chubbier. What a cute boy.


Here is my Seany cakes. He's always entertaining us. Sean has more facial expressions than the average boy. He makes me laugh a lot.


Here they are, Sean and Liam. They have become even better friends here because there are no other children in their lives right now. We're working on making more friends. So far everyone we've met has had 2 and 3 year olds. Liam is looking for a five year old friend. School will start Sept. 8th so we're looking forward to some friends there and hopefully we'll meet some more in the mean time.


A few other things.
Thanks for the bug suggestions. We finally went and got some Terro which is a liquid poison that actually does get rid of ants. Thanks to Layna Maxwell and others for the suggestion. The sugar ants are going away and I only see one occasionally instead of twenty crawling around the counters at any given time. That was driving me crazy. Michael actually found one in his cereal after he finished in the milk. Yuk.
Now for the really scary story. Michael has been working nights here and so one night this past week I was brushing Sean's teeth and Liam was in his room previewing his books when he ran into the bathroom and told me he saw a giant bug crawl across the room and under the tree part of his bunk bed. I told him to calm down and that I'd be right in. However I knew exactly what this meant. Days previous I had gone into their room and saw the same cockroach and it crawled very fast into their closet and I couldn't find it. I hate cockroaches and they freak me out. Now I knew I needed to stay calm because my reactions would impact the way they felt. So I went into the room and assured Liam the cockroach was gone and not to worry. He was worried and wouldn't come sit on the floor to read books. I crawled under the tree trunk part of their bed where it is dark and moved a toy and sure enough, there it was, gigantic and scary. I stayed calm even though I was scared out of my mind, I told Liam to hand me a yellow sand castle bucket and I put the bucket down very quickly and caught him. He was trying to move his speedy legs under the bucket and I could here the scratching on the hard wood floors. I moved the bucket along the floor out into the open room and found a zip lock bag big enough to put around the bucket so as not to let the roach escape.
Anyway we looked at him after I caught him, he was huge. I told Liam I would just leave him in the trap until Michael got home the next morning. So that was that, Liam was a little nervous going to sleep that night but I told him there were definitely no more cockroaches in the house. Yeah right.
The next morning I looked in the bag and it was gone. Michael had already come home and was sleeping so I assumed he got rid of it. Later that day when he woke up we were all talking and I asked Michael what he did with it and he said he never touched it. Oh man.
Finally I got to talking to Liam and found out that he and Sean had some fun with it that morning while I was still asleep. I asked him if it was dead and he said yes but he said it was split into two. I asked him more about that and got him to tell me that he had gotten a hold of my kitchen scissors and cut the cockroach in half and then took it out to the sidewalk and left it there. I of course then had to go into the chat about going outside while I'm asleep and how that is absolutely not allowed. We went into the stranger danger talk but in the end I told him he was very brave and I was thankful that he got rid of it. I washed the scissors for a long time with soap and hot hot water.
So that is the bug story this week. I hate these cockroaches, some are trying to tell us they are water bugs or Palmetto bugs. Whatever they are I hate them and wish they never existed.
The end.



















10 comments:

Allyssa said...

Oh man Shel, that is hilarious. It's good you have lots of boys over there to get rid of those bugs. Way to set the example and stay calm. I don't know if I could have. The other night I was pushing the garbages out to the front and I saw cockroaches crawling all over the place. So Brian sprayed everywhere once again. This is the prime time for these nasty things. Hopefully it'll be over soon.

Anna said...

Happy Birthday, Adam! love those chubby legs.

And I agree with Allyssa, I'm seriously impressed that you managed to stay calm while hunting the roach. Moms are superheros for sure, and you are DEFINITELY proof of that!!! Way to protect the little 'uns, Mama Shelley.

Mom St. John said...

O.K. I'm trying this again. I guess I can use my (new) Gmail accout to post on this web; we'll see. Anyhow, the boys look beautiful. The birthday boy aka the "golden" one, looks like a porcelin figure. I'll bet the boys love having their own yard/street. I hope the bugs -- mostly just the cockroaches -- are under control by the time I get there. I don't think I'd be as brave as Shelley; I'm a yeller when a see a cockroach or a mouse. It just comes out, something primal I'm sure. Anyhow, I'm going to stop now because Lord only knows if this message will go through. Here goes....

Kathy Nielson said...

You are so good at telling stories!! Sounds like you guys are having a great adventure. It will be a good memory! I am so glad you are keeping up with your blog, I love to see what you are up to. Your boys are getting so big!!

Susanna said...

Oh my gosh. That cockroach story is amazing!

Your boys are adorable too.

The Price Family said...

wow shelley, i am nervous to come to visit. Do you guys have pest control people out there? It might be worth the money. NO, we are really excited to come. Hope you catch all the cockroaches.

brownymama said...

Your kids are adorable. And Happy Birthday Adam! I saw your blog on Lyssa's and had a lot of fun catching up on things. I reminisced about the Perrenoud. And I laughed at the sugar ants and the bugs that come with the South. When we moved to Texas I thought the bugs would be the death of me! It was all so pretty and green, but the bugs were more than I could handle. I am still grateful everyday that I don't see any sugar ants in my cereal box!

Krista

Erin said...

I love that Sean and Liam have a clothing optional attitude about birthday parties. I love your roach hunter story. I love your very detailed post about your life in VA. Also, I love you.

Misty said...

Gross, I hate bugs too. It's good to hear things are going so well. Sounds like there are lots of fun things for little boys to do.

Teri said...

Gross, gross, GROSS. I would have freaked out also. I love that they innocently cut the bug in half. Oh, boys. I miss you. Happy Birthday, Adam!