Saturday, June 20, 2009

2nd week in VA

Our second week in VA has been lovely. There is quite a lot to do here so we haven't had too much time to get sad yet. It might feel a little little bit like a vacation so far with the beach aspect. We live only blocks from the beach so we go there often for it is free and fun. Here is my little Adam building sandcastles with Michael.
Adam loves the ocean but he has a hard time walking in the sand. He falls a lot but he just gets right back up and keeps going. This little guy sure loves his brothers. He tries to do everything they are doing. They keep him pretty entertained. Thank goodness for siblings.


Liam can't get enough of the ocean. He loves it out there. Here is Sean doing some of his Kung Fu moves. We love free entertainment. The only danger here is the sun. It is beating down on us and we must apply plenty of sunscreen. So far, no burns on the boys.



Michael keeps calling me a wuss because I'm not jumping into the ocean at every chance I get but I'm trying to convince him that someone has to stay dry to take care of Adam. Maybe that is a lame excuse but once you get wet, the sand really sticks to you. Eventually Adam gets tired and needs to nurse and I'm sure he doesn't want to nurse on a salt water breast.




What a happy, sleeping boy he is. He has taken three or four lovely naps on the beach so far. It is a very soothing place to sleep. I'm still trying to figure out Adam and his hair. It is so different than the other two. I wonder what he'll look like when he is three.


Here is Michael covering the children in sand. Liam was getting a little chilly from swimming in the ocean so he kept laying in the sand because he said it was very warm and it helped to warm up his body so Michael offered a full sand blanket.


Of course Sean wanted in after he saw how cool it was so here are my two little boys all covered with sand. They stayed here for quite awhile.


Our first VA visitor. Emma Lou. She was driving through with her dad and step mom after touring the white house and other D.C. attractions. Adam kept looking at her to see if it was real because he's going through Jen and Emma withdrawals. I've been Gmail chatting with Jen and Adam just loves seeing her but still doesn't understand why he can't touch her.


We all went out for lunch at a place on the fishing pier next to our house. Then she came over to our house and looked around. We wished she could have stayed longer but she had more driving to do. We love her and we're happy she stopped by.

Today Michael took the boys back to the fishing pier and did some fishing. There are a lot of very serious fishermen here who have very expensive equipment and such. Liam showed up and sat down with a cheap rod, threw the line in with Michael's help and immediately said, Papa I think we caught something. He said, no Liam the waves are strong and are pulling on the pole, but sure enough they caught a fish. Here is the proud Liam with his fish. Good job Liam. Michael said he really enjoyed fishing and could do it all day. We'll have to do more fishing.


Here is Sean with his fish. I think Liam caught it but he let Sean think he did. Liam is a good brother and much like his Papa always helps to make other people happy.


Here they are, my little fishermen. They had their sunglasses and poles and their blood worms. Not really my thing so I'll just enjoy the peace and quiet I get when they all go fishing. Today I made some dinner while they were gone. We had our delicious salmon with roasted red pepper sauce. We had black beans and rice and then grilled corn. It was delicious.



Sean walked in the door from fishing and laid down on a stuffed animal and fell right to sleep. I love it when they just crash in the middle of the floor. It makes me laugh a little. Sometimes I wish I could take naps in the middle of the day but too many little people need my attention. We woke him up a little later for dinner.


Liam has been bit by all the mosquitoes that live here. We need to do a better job with the OFF spray. We all seem to have bites all over. I'm still not happy about all the bugs that live here. I've learned that I have what they call sugar ants in my kitchen, which are very hard to get rid of. Then of course the stupid cockroaches that come out in the night. I hate those things. We did some research on them and they really try to scare you and say that they will chew on fingernails and eyelashes. They better stay away from all my people and their eyelashes.
Well there they are reading the evening books. We really are just fine here. I've had one very bad day but that is all. I told my mother in law that I had a bad day and she said, "only one? I've had more than that." I guess I forget that other people are sad too and not just us. We look forward to the visitors that are coming this summer. Michael's parents are coming in July. I think Mary and family are coming sometime and my mom is coming in Aug. It will be exciting to look forward to these dates.


ok, this was the second week. I will keep on posting and I am grateful for the comments. It is great to hear from all my people. I'm hoping to meet a friend at church tomorrow. We'll see.














15 comments:

Jen christensen said...

I love your thorough posts. thanks for sharing! It's fun to see what you guys are up and that you're liking it. Keep it comimg.

ginger said...

Yay for beach fun. I'm with you with the water and sticky sand. The only thing worse than a salty breast is a salty and sandy one...believe me. Chuck thinks we should come down to VA, rent crab traps and go beach camping.

Allyssa said...

ya, i wouldn't want to breastfeed on a salty nipple either. i'm sure adam is grateful you stay dry. i would too. very cute pictures! i especially love the fishing stories. you are going to have a blast living out there.

Unknown said...

Shelley,
Thank you so much for your posts. It makes me feel like I'll be able to keep up with your sweet family. It is fun to see all the family time you all are having together. Yeah beach!
Lyssa
ps. I'm on my brother in laws laptop on vacation. Don't know how to change the name on the comment.

Jennie said...

You sound like you are adjusting great. Or at least keeping busy enough to not notice yet. Good job on keeping up on the blog and letting us know how you are out there.

Brian and Lisa said...

I miss the beach! You are so lucky to live so close to it. I'm so glad I got to see you before you left. If we are down that way we'll be sure to stop by!
Lisa

audra said...

shelley, my friend. I am so glad that you are enjoying it out there! your family is so adorable - I love reading your blog! Miss you lots; I've always wanted to visit the east coast...

The Bryger Family said...

It looks beautiful there. I am glad that you all are having some good family times!

Kasey

Unknown said...

wow. looks like the boys are total water bugs. they're in the right place!

so many cute pics.

Twila and Jon Warner Family said...

It is an adventure and everyone looks incredibly happy! The time is going to fly...did make me a little sad that Adam can't give his Jenny a proper snuggle.

Laynalou3 said...

Shelley, I have the perfect thing for your sugar ants! It's called TERRO, and it will totally eliminate them in your house.

We used this stuff in Hawaii, where everyone said you couldn't get rid of sugar ants. Within a couple of weeks they were gone.

Best of luck with everything else that is going on. I hope you can find a friend in Relief Society soon. I just started in my new ward, and it's amazing how alone one can feel in the middle of 30 friendly women!

I miss you, and hope to see you again soon.

Layna

Anna said...

Yaay! Beach pictures! SO cute. Way to go Liam & Sean for catching fish!! Awesome. Glad that you guys are having fun out there! We sure miss ya here though.

And oh Shelley, the bugs that love humidity...they are horrible. Roaches are sick. You can have your house sprayed so they don't come in anymore...and also they have these little things you can plug in the wall, and they send out an electronic pulse to keep away the bugs- they make a little humming noise but it's not too bad.

Here's to hoping that you can get rid of the bugs!!! Good luck.

Ryan said...

Michael calls Shelley a wuss for not jumping in the water, but he'll only do it with a fancy long-sleeved top? Or is he just protecting his creamy Iowa skin?

Teri said...

Am I really the 14th person to leave a comment? Wow, you have lots of fans that just want to see what you guys are doing. I thought about calling you tonight but then I figured it was kind of 2 hours later there. You guys look great. Who needs Congress park play equipment when you have a beach with lots of fun water and sand? I will talk to you soon.

doktorone said...

Sugar ants??? We used to get those in Des Moines. G-ma St. John would have them as well. Terro, I think is what people used to use. Now the cockroaches-- Ugh!-- & to think your downstairs bathroom is right off the kitchen. I'll definitely be wearing shoes if I make that nighttime trip. Will they stay away if you leave the bathroom light on? (Please say yes!!!)
Love, D./Mom/Grandma